Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

New Orleans

 
 
Andy and I went to New Orleans to meet up with some friends who were attending TypeCon, an annual convention about typography. We had not made official plans to attend ourselves, but we did end up participating in a couple of their events.
 
Most of our time in New Orleans was spent avoiding Bourbon Street as much as possible and trying to suss out the true bits of local culture.
 
And of course the food.

I knew it would be a difficult task finding anything vegan or gluten-free on our trip when a place such as New Orleans features meat-laden cuisine like po' boys, muffalettas, and gumbo. Traveling with food restrictions is tricky unless you plan in advance. I didn't have the luxury this time since I was just coming off of two back-to-back business trips. So I had to settle for ho-hum vegetarian. There were a few surprises, which fortunately were documented with my camera, but I would warn anyone visiting, that New Orleans felt like a food desert; however, any area that relies on tourism often feels that way unless extra effort is exerted to go find fresh food.

No comments:

Post a Comment