Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Watercourse Foods, Denver, Colorado

My trip to Denver ended on a high note. The Denver food scene surprised me again with a fantastic vegetarian restaurant, Watercourse Foods. Their tagline is "Eat the path of least resistance", which was apropo for the meal we enjoyed. Everything was creative, fresh, and delicious.
 
 
 
 
There's been a trend in vegan "cheese" made from cashews, but this was my first time trying it. Watercourse offered a three or five selection of house-made "cheeses" as appetizers. We chose the jalapeno cheddar, lavendar and herb encrusted chevre, pistachio fennel chevre. These "cheeses" were served on a platter with toasted baguette, apricots, beer mustard, olives, and pickled beets. My favorite was the pistachio fennel chevre, it had a pungent flavor that resembled a really great cheese.

 As an entree, I had the Thai Stir Fry since it sounded like the healthiest gluten-free option. It was seasoned just right for my palate. It had broccoli, carrots, cabbage and onions in a spicy peanut sauce served over brown rice with a huge and perfectly grilled chunk of tofu on top. The sauce was perfectly light and hit the spot. The dish was huge, but I managed to eat most of it.

 Stuffed to the gills, I couldn't leave without ordering dessert for later, so I got a carrot cake to go. Watercourse serves a plethora of vegan cakes and pies, which I'm going to have to try on my next trip to Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment