Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gluten-Free Expo at Whole Foods, Buckhead, Georgia

My local Whole Foods' latest event, the Gluten-Free Expo, showcased a variety of gluten-free products from local, regional, and national food manufacturers. It was interesting to see how these products were being marketed as well as talk to the representatives of each brand.
 
I started with Emily G.'s jams, because they were being served on my latest (and very yummy) discovery, Blue Diamond's Nut Thins cracker.
 
 
The Tipsy Onion and Garlic jam name and ingredients seemed less than tantalizing, but I can vouch that it surpassed my expectations in taste. It was mildly sweet with hints of onion and garlic, and I was tempted to get a jar on the spot! 


The next item I came across was Udi's Gluten-Free Granola. I sampled the Cranberry flavor and wasn't impressed. It was bordering on flavorless, and I tried desperately to taste the cranberries, much to my dismay. I will have to blame the miniscule tasting cups they were being handed out in. The representative from Udi's educated me on the wide variety of products they make, such as breads, bagels, and muffins. I would caution those with egg-free diets to check the labels on these products since she pointed out that these baked goods may be gluten-free but not necessarily egg-free. By the way, "dairy-free", I found, is not the same as "vegan". Apparently eggs fall outside of the dairy label.
 

So this next table I visited, I didn't actually try the product. The representative from Genesis was offering samples of their Mangosteen, Acai, and other highly concentrated juices. She said one of their juices tasted like barbecue sauce, but it was the most cleansing. That didn't quite sell it for me, so I moved on.
 
 The last product I sampled is something that I have been eyeing during various trips to the store so I was very happy to try it. Seasnax is being touted as a new crunchy, flavorful, low calorie snack that is an alternative to chips. I tried the Toasty Onion, and it was quite good. However, I think I'll keep getting my seaweed at the Asian supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment